Caterpillar, Inc. Data Scientist II in Peoria, Illinois
Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Our products have evolved from simple mechanical workhorses to sophisticated, electronically controlled work-site solutions. This transformation, along with our smart factories and our integrated dealer network, has provided a wealth of Big Data that is mined and analyzed across various segments such as product development, manufacturing, supply chain, marketing, sales and customer support.
Cat Digital is leading Caterpillar and our industry with the utilization of data, analytics, innovation, digital channels and techniques to drive profit, create more efficient revenue growth, unlock new revenue streams, and provide more durable competitive advantages for the business through great experiences for our customers. Come join a world class organization and play a key role in Caterpillar’s digital transformation!
Cat Digital’s Analytics team is looking for a talented and motivated Data Scientist to help solve product and business development challenges using machine learning and artificial intelligence methods. As a data scientist, you will work on variety of topics including but not limited to aftermarket sales & service solutions and image processing, using different data domains such as dealer and customer information, workorder and invoice data, engineering and product data, pricing information, quality and warranty data etc.
The principal responsibility of the Data Scientist II is to be an independent contributor to multi-person analytic teams. This position has a depth of knowledge in quantitative analytic methods, data management, and or associated digital technologies suitable to handle all but the most complex issues. Senior Data Analysts are expected to be familiar with the company’s processes, products, and organization, as well as its customers, competitors, and stakeholders. Work is typically directed by a direct supervisor, project or team lead through a review of results. Decisions on routine, medium risk issues that may affect the project team, suppliers or internal customers may be made by this position. Challenges include meeting expectations in delivering results, learning to refine solutions to better fit complex situations, making timely decisions, and communicating effectively with all project stakeholders. The Data Scientist II also mentors and develops the capabilities and organizational knowledge of more junior data scientists and associates.
• MS degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Agricultural, Aerospace, or related fields), Mathematics or Data Science with emphasis in machine learning
• 2-3 years of project experience with Python and core data science libraries, including pandas, NumPy, SciPy, and scikit-learn
• 1 year of project experience applying deep learning methods to solve product or business problems
Top Candidates Will Also Have
• PhD degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Agricultural, Aerospace, or related fields), Mathematics or Data Science with emphasis in machine learning
• Experiences with one or more deep learning frameworks such as Tensorflow, Keras etc.
• Experiences with different types of database tools such as DB2, Oracle and Snowflake
• Understanding of complex electro-mechanical systems (engines, drivetrain, hydraulics, controls, structures, etc.)
• Good understanding and, preferably, development experience within the Agile process
• Practical knowledge of Cloud computing and software development for cloud environments
• Strong technical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work on increasingly more complex assignments and will have demonstrated strong leadership, initiative, interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate effectively
• Must have ability to communicate effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well as with customers
Caterpillar is proud of the role we play in building the world's infrastructure. The work we do drives progress for millions of people around the globe.
All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.
Visa sponsorship available for eligible applicants.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
There’s more to work at Caterpillar than just the work itself. We hire smart, friendly people and it shows in our culture. We hold ourselves to high standards and make sure our values of integrity, excellence, teamwork, commitment and sustainability come to life in the way we work. We make sure our employees feel continuously challenged while also supported. We provide professional growth opportunities, including leadership programs. We celebrate the diversity of our team, while also working together as one Caterpillar.
Our culture, like everything at our company, is made possible by each employee’s contribution. Person by person, we create the environment we work in, and we are proud of the Caterpillar we’ve built.
- Caterpillar, Inc. Jobs