Nexus Substitute Teacher in Onarga, Illinois
Provide educational instruction through a variety of accepted teaching techniques while employing behavior management strategies that will ensure the effective and efficient implementation of assigned individual students’ IEPs on an as needed basis to complement the needs of the full time teaching staff.
Complement the scheduling needs of the full time teaching staff
In cooperation with other members of the school team, assess educational needs and the progress of assigned students.
Provide instruction to assigned students in classes of expertise as assigned.
Provide crisis intervention within the classroom setting and apply TCI or approved deescalation techniques appropriate to the situation at hand; ask for assistance when warranted through appropriate procedures and keep other academic and clinical treatment staff appraised of inappropriate behaviors.
Create a classroom climate that is positive and supportive for both learning and treatment.
Ensure confidentiality regarding students is in compliance with all licensing agencies, company policy, COA and HIPAA guidelines.
Develop or assist in developing IEPs, test ability levels and coordinate meetings with other members of the IEP team where appropriate.
Attend faculty/staff meetings, IEP staffings and participate in additional meetings and training sessions as required; understand and support the Nexus treatment philosophy and modalities.
Other duties as assigned.
Education, Credentials and Experience:
- ISBE (Illinois State Board of Education) Substitute Teaching License (SUB or STS)
- Specialization in the areas of EBD, LD, SED and/or TMH.
- Previous teaching experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Remain current in the latest, accepted teaching techniques, and be able to tailor teaching techniques to meet the needs of emotionally and behaviorally challenged students within a residential setting.
- Demonstrate exceptional written and oral communication skills to be able to clearly convey lesson plans and instructions to students, as well as communicate effectively with other team staff.
- Demonstrate the ability to utilize organizational skills and tools to proactively manage assigned class load.
- Exhibit the ability to lead and provide direction by example in a manner that is patient, positive, respectful, non-threatening and supportive of Nexus methods, culture and values.
- Exhibit a spirit of cooperation among coworkers with the ultimate goal of achieving the best learning environment possible for our students while insuring appropriate supervision and safety.
- Display ethical conduct and professionalism at all times, with particular emphasis on maintaining healthy relationships and appropriate boundaries with students/residents to insure a positive, effective learning environment.
- Continually seek knowledge of and an understanding of differences in gender, race, age, culture, ethnicity, class, religion and disability, to eliminate biases toward differing talents, abilities, sexual orientation and faiths.
- Comply with all organization policies and procedures; adhere to all organizational confidentiality policies and ensure that information regarding students is discussed only with appropriate staff and parents. Be cognizant of and comply with Nexus HIPAA policies regarding client confidentiality.
- Adhere to department procedures regarding punctuality and attendance and exhibit flexibility and cooperation with shift scheduling and rotation needs.
- Supports the mission of Nexus (“Changing lives through our Cornerstone Values”) by exemplifying the Cornerstone Values and the Nexus Guiding Principles in all interactions with internal and external customers, and in all work performed on behalf of the organization.
- Must be able to assist staff in physical and non-physical interventions with residents.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted and up to 100+ pounds with assistance.
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time (2-4 hours).
- Must be able to twist, bend and stretch in a manner conducive to the execution of daily activities within a school.
Job ID: 2020-5202
Location Name: Nexus - Onarga Family Healing