SSM Health Manager Sterile Processing in Mount Vernon, Illinois
The Sterile Processing Manager is responsible for the day to day operations of the Sterile Processing Departments at both Good Samaritan and St Mary's campuses
The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of Sterile Processing, Surgical Services, and Infection Control.
- Participates in Quality Improvement initiatives within the department and with other departments that affect the Sterile Processing area across the Southern Illinois Ministry. Attends all necessary meetings that impact the Sterile Processing function.
- Works with the Infection Preventionist and Regulatory Readiness to ensure compliance with the Joint Commission, OSHA, Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) and International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHSCSMM) standards.
- Ensures that processing of all instrumentation, equipment, and flexible scopes during the decontamination, packaging, and sterilization processes are in compliance with AAMI Standards and Instructions for use for each item being processed. Ensures that Sterile Processing staff members follow Standard Precautions in the decontamination and sterilization areas.
- Works with the Surgical Services Educator to complete all annual hospital educational and competency requirements. Manages and maintains all departmental education and competencies.
- Works closely with vendor representatives on needed instrumentation and implants to ensure that necessary items are sterile and ready for scheduled surgical procedures.
- Assures that all soiled instruments and equipment are transferred in the appropriate manner from hospital procedure areas daily and brought to Sterile Processing Department for decontamination purposes. Maintains all appropriate spore testing and sterilization testing documentation logs. Assists in maintaining up to date count sheets for accuracy in the sets.
- Accountability for assuring all instruments are available for case carts each day by working with the Inventory Control Technician. Maintains communication with OR Director, Nurse Educator, Specialty Coordinators and appropriate Service Representatives to repair/replace or purchase new instrumentation.
- Exhibits excellent verbal communication skills and is committed to customer service 100% of the time. Will utilize service recovery skills by documenting any concerns to the appropriate personnel.
- Responsible for understanding and completing payroll documentation and approval. Assigns lunches and breaks in a fair and equitable manner, creates and maintains staffing assignments accordingly and utilizes low census as necessary. Assesses work volumes and assigns work in a fair and equitable manner.
- Demonstrates leadership by assuring appropriate staffing levels, completing yearly evaluations, and with the support of the Director and/or OR Manager, counseling for performance improvement issues as needed. Provides employee recognition and reward.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
Registered Nurse or Surgical Technologist Certification
3-5 years’ experience
- Management experience
- Certification - IAHSCMM, AAMI or CNOR
About SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital - Mt. Vernon
SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital–Mt. Vernon, operating in partnership with the Felician Sisters, is a 134-bed hospital with the only open heart surgery program in the region. In 2015, the hospital launched a new pediatric emergency and NICU telemedicine program in conjunction with the physicians at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital. For three consecutive years, Healthgrades has presented SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital with the Patient Safety Excellence Award. In 2014, Quest by Premier Inc. recognized SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital with the Citation of Merit Award for Outstanding Patient Care.
About SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital – Centralia
SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital–Centralia, operating in partnership with the Felician Sisters, is a 113-bed hospital specializing in cancer care. For six consecutive years, Healthgrades has presented SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital–Centralia with the Outstanding Patient Experience Award and with the Critical Care Excellence Award. In 2014, Quest by Premier Inc. recognized SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital–Centralia with the Citation of Merit Award for High-Value Healthcare.
Req ID: 18004941
Primary Location: Illinois-Mount Vernon-SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital – Mt. Vernon
SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital – Mt. Vernon (0046) 1 Good Samaritan Way Mount Vernon, 62864
Schedule Hours Per Pay Period: 62864
Weekend Rotation: Full Time, Days, Varied
Normal work hours: Clinical Support & Technical Services
Job: SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital – Mt. Vernon
Organization: SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital – Mt. Vernon
Work Locations: SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital – Mt. Vernon (0046) 1 Good Samaritan Way Mount Vernon, 62864