Argonne National Laboratory Postdoctoral Appointee in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 404165 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: XSD-X-Ray Science Division
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Education Required: Doctorate Degree
Level (Grade): 700 Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
We invite you to apply for a Postdoctoral Appointee position with our X-Ray Science Division (XSD). Your primary responsibility will be the design and implementation of sensor and controls systems in an x-ray optics research and development project. You will provide software, electronic and controls system development as part of an interdisciplinary team developing deformable x-ray optics. Youw will also develop the integration of surface metrology and x-ray wavefront data with a controls system to adjust and maintain a deformable x-ray mirror at an optimal shape. The overall goal of the project is to produce a dual mirror x-ray focusing system with zoom capability over several orders of magnitude in spot size.
We expect you to have the following Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Considerable knowledge of equipment and techniques for implementation and diagnostics relating to precision motion control, custom electronics, and computer systems.
- Experience with data analysis.
- Good ability to interact with scientific staff and research groups.
- Knowledge of opto-mechanical designs, motion controls, and electronic components, as well as computer control systems.
- Skills in troubleshooting, diagnostics, and independent judgments in technical problem-solving.
Desirable skills and abilities include:
- Knowledge of complex motion control systems.
- Experience with CAD programs for basic measurement and design such as Solidworks or equivalent,
- Knowledge of laser interferometry or other sensor technologies used for encoded motion control,
- Knowledge of linux based operating systems and python scripting.
- Experience with adaptive optics
To be eligible, candidates must have completed their Ph.D. within the last three years.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.