Progress Rail Services Corp. Engineer, Sr Project in La Grange, Illinois
EMD HQ LaGrange, IL
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
Auto req ID:
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs.
Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com at https://www.progressrail.com/ and follow us @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Education / Training:
• Minimum BS in Mechanical Engineering – preferred advanced mechanical engineering degree.
Sr Project Engineer - Emissions Compliance
Key Job Elements:
• Work with EPA and foreign regulatory bodies to ensure emissions compliance of EMD products;
• Represent EMD at Truck and Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA) and Diesel Technology Forum (DTF) as required;
• Support activities in obtaining certificates of conformity from EPA, and Type approvals from European regulatory bodies, Work with classification society to obtain EIAPP certificates for IMO marine engines;
• Administer change control program for emission kits and labels;
• Set requirements for production line testing of new locomotives and marine engines, using Progress Rail Locomotive’s Master Production Schedule;
• Set requirements for field audits of emissions remanufacture system installations by railroads, using returned kit installation registration cards;
• Obtain test exemptions for locomotives and marine vessels from EPA, as required;
• Support and obtain exemptions for imported engines and locomotive;
• Co-ordinate activities to file following reports with EPA:
• New locomotive and marine engine production line testing;
• Locomotives and marine engines covered by our test exemptions (quarterly);
• Marine engine production line testing;
• Locomotive in-use testing report (as required);
• Organize and retain records as required by regulatory bodies.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Ten or more years of experience in diesel engine design and development;
• Ability and willingness to work across the organization;
• Have knowledge of engineering theory and principles related to engine mechanical design and performance;
• A high level of reading comprehension, to understand the language of emissions regulations;
• Familiar with medium speed diesel engines and subsystems required to reduce engine out emissions;
• High familiarity of EMD’s products and their applications including deep knowledge of locomotive subsystem functions and interactions;
• High level of oral and written skills;
• Detail oriented and highly organized;
• Willingness to travel, including to foreign, non-English-speaking locations as required, up to 30%.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Alternative Work Location:
Progress Rail Services Corp.
- Progress Rail Services Corp. Jobs