Canadian National Railway Company Locomotive Laborer in Homewood, Illinois
Laborers are responsible for various tasks in a safety-oriented environment, including operating heavy equipment and handling hazardous materials.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Safe operation of a dolly, high pressure washing machine, shovel and wheel barrow
- Drive Various vehicles such as: trucks, forklifts, cranes
- Work with soaps, caustic solutions, fuel and oil
- Ability to follow instructions and complete assigned tasks, in a safe and efficient manor
- Wear personal protective equipment during assigned shift
- Assist in the moving of locomotives and equipment
- Other duties as assigned
*Working Conditions: *
- Work shift work which includes nights, weekends and holidays
- Frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds.
- Work indoors and outdoors in inclement weather conditions
- Exposure to heat, cold, water, oil, grease, battery acid, fumes, and noise
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must have a valid drivers license
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position
- Previous railroad experience
- Previous experience operating heavy machinery, equipment, and power tools
- Displays basic problem solving skills
The ideal candidate profile:
- Displays initiative
- Displays good organizational skills
The Laborer is a unionized position under the National Conference of Firemen and Oilers. Wages, initiation fees, and monthly dues are required as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.
CN is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.