United States Steel Management Associate - Maintenance in Granite City, Illinois
10698BRJob Description:The Management Associate program is our entry level program for college graduates to help accelerate their professional development. Management Associates are provided between 12-24 months of training across multiple functional areas with work assignments designed to assist in both personal and skill-set development. The role may include rotational assignment(s) within the Utilities/Powerhouse department. This program is designed to strengthen leadership capabilities to prepare the college graduate for advanced roles within our operations or in a number of disciplines that support our operations.
U. S. Steel has an opening for a Management Associate – Mechanical/Mechatronics Engineering in the Utilities Department at our Granite City, IL facility. Training consists of classroom and "hands on" work experiences in areas such as Safety, Quality, Communication, Leadership, Teamwork, and Problem Solving. Specific process and equipment training will also be provided. Our facilities operate 24/7, 365 days a year. Position requires rotating work schedules, weekends and/or holidays work.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Apply engineering and/or business principles and problem solving techniques in a manufacturing environment to ensure maximum operating efficiency while handling the pressure of managing a production crew in a heavily unionized environment
• Supervise, direct, and coordinate the efforts of experienced technicians to keep the production operations running at maximum efficiency with minimum interruption; consult with other production and maintenance managers, plant engineers, staff professionals, and outside equipment manufacturers; and select, train, and supervise employees.
• Make design modifications to existing equipment to reduce maintenance improve reliability and improve product quality. Performing equipment failure analysis and making appropriate recommendations.
• Review proposed equipment replacement or upgrades, including capital projects with multi-million dollar budgets.
• Work with consultants and equipment vendors to ensure process requirements and applicable standards and codes are met.
• Engage in maintenance planning functions to minimize downtime; investigate process improvements and participate in facilities upgrades.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics Engineering.
• Must have graduated within the last three years from an accredited college or university at the time of hire
• Must have less than three years of professional work experience
• Extensive computer skills with Microsoft Office products
• Must be willing and able to work rotating shifts, weekends, and holidaysAuto req ID:10698BRRequisition Type:US-ExemptPosting Title:Mechanical/Mechatronics Engineer - Management AssociateState/Province:US - ILWork Location - City:Granite City Company Overview:Steel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn’t be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles — to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation’s energy resources — our products build quality of life for people around the world. U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation — a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.Preferred Skills:We are looking for motivated self-starters that can work in a fast paced, data-driven environment. The successful undergraduate will be an analytical problem solver, have an extremely high level of customer focus and a passion for process improvement. In addition, a successful intern will have:
• Demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and an aptitude for your area of study
• A strong record of team, project and/or people leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
• A willingness to take initiative to understand the business
• An aptitude for problem solving; strong writing and verbal communication skills
• A strong commitment to excellence and to personal and professional growth
• Must be resourceful, responsible, tenacious, curious, independent, confident and high energy
• The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Leadership and strong decision-making skills
• Ability to think and act both strategically and tactically
• Stationary engineer certification is a plusCompetency Summary:Think: Think Critically and Drive Change
Lead: Develop Talent and Collaborate
Do: Empower Performance and Deliver ResultsEqual Employment Opportunity:U. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results focus & accountability. We focus on our customers, driving quality and ensuring cost effectiveness. We promote an environment of respect, transparency and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) according to job qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, genetics, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, disability status or status as a protected Veteran or any other legally protected group status.
(California residents may visit www.ussteel.com/CANotice for information regarding collection of personal information and U. S. Steel's privacy practices.)Job Category:Recent College GraduatesDiversity Commitment:UNITED BY STEEL - We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace culture and celebrate the diversity of our employees. We are all responsible to live these principles and lead by example as we prioritize the physical and psychological safety of every team member.