Northwestern University Systems Admin in Evanston, Illinois
This position serves on Kellogg's IT Core Infrastructure Management team which is responsible for Kellogg's data center, physical and virtual server systems’ administration, and core infrastructure applications and resources such as storage, backup, monitoring/alerting, networking, power/cooling, firewalls and security systems.
In addition to sharing those Core team responsibilities, this position will work closely with client support teams and focus on developing, administering and managing physical and virtual server systems to provide centralized, enterprise client management and client infrastructure capabilities in order to satisfy technical, operational and business needs.
This position will be on-call by pager or phone 24/7 approximately 1 week every two months and expected to resolve any incidents relating to Kellogg’s data center, its core resources, and the systems and services it hosts
- As a Core Infrastructure team member, administer data center resources including physical and virtual server systems, storage, backup, monitoring alerting systems, networking, power/cooling, firewalls and security systems.
- Provide technical depth across core server systems, respond to escalated incidents and participate in Incident-, Change-, Project- and Risk Management processes.
- Administer the client build systems (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and Deploy Studio). Manage and maintain the OS and software images/packages that these systems deploy while developing guidelines and procedures.
- Assess technical and business requirements as new client types and OS’s emerge and build solutions.
- Work closely with support teams to evaluate, document and process change requests. Troubleshoot escalated deployment issues.
- Manage and document administrative software deployments for client systems using the Symantec Client Management Suite (Altiris) and Windows Software Update Services (WSUS).
- Work closely with multiple teams within KIS including support teams to evaluate, document and manage change requests, ushering requests through a client change management process that includes Testing, Staging, and Deploying.
- Administer and troubleshoot the WSUS system and troubleshoot Altiris Agent issues.
- Manage clients of multiple operating systems within and outside of a Windows Active Directory environment and design means to ease management and integration of Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and mobile devices by leverage tools and technologies such as group policy, administrative scripting, and third party solutions, and others.
- Develop documentation, guidelines and procedures. In collaboration with support teams, assess technical and business requirements as new client devices and OS’s emerge.
- Administer VMware Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (View) managing image optimization, pool management, and managing zero/thin/thick client hardware installation, developing documentation, guidelines and procedures.
- Administer other client security and client management systems (Anti-Virus, anti-spyware, client backup, vulnerability management, etc.) managing functionality and reporting, developing documentation, guidelines and procedures.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Significant experience administering Windows 2003/2008 R2 server in an Active Directory environment.
- Significant experience with Windows server health and uptime monitoring using Microsoft Operations Manager or an equivalent solution.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Proven ability to adapt and implement distributed applications in a Windows environment.
- University level coursework in information systems or other technical or analytical fields.
- MCTS/MCITP/MCTS or comparable certification is desired, but certainly not required.
- Practical experience with desktop and server virtualization.
- Practical experience with Windows OS and application deployment.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Moderate proficiency in VBScript, PowerShell, or other languages used for systems administration.
- Knowledge of client systems management technology trends.
- Knowledge of or experience with the Microsoft Systems Center suite.
- Knowledge of or experience with managing network firewall policies/rules.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Job ID: 33548
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Evanston, Illinois
Job Title: Systems Admin