PAWS Chicago Veterinary Technician, Shelter Medicine Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois
The Veterinary Technician will work at PAWS Chicago Rescue & Recovery Center (3516 West 26th, Chicago.) The individual will work closely with veterinarians providing daily care, treatment, and support of the shelter animals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical assistance to shelter veterinarians and communicate regarding changes in patient condition, results of diagnostic tests and procedures and treatment questions. Position responsibilities include shelter animal intake and evaluation procedures; diagnostics; health assessment of shelter animals; care of shelter animals including emergency and intensive care as required; restraint; patient and equipment preparation for diagnostic procedures, monitoring, and evaluating shelter animals; administration of medication; catheter placement; maintenance of IV’s. Perform quality control of shelter technical services such as disinfection procedures, in-house diagnostic services and animal selection and intake.
Provide clinical instruction to veterinary and veterinary technician/technology students as needed. Responsibilities include demonstration of proper usage of equipment/instruments and patient procedures, including completing treatments and taking and submitting laboratory specimens. Instruct in routine nursing care of shelter animals and shelter procedures. Other duties as assigned or as the dynamics of the population change.
- Passion for animals and animal welfare.
- Candidate must be credential-eligible in Illinois or have equal experience.
- Ability to be flexible, work independently, demonstrate sound judgment, understand the importance of deadlines and work in a dynamic collaborative team environment necessary.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential. PAWS Chicago Values-in-Action
Respect: for each and every life.
- Community: of people and organizations committed to helping homeless pets.
- Innovation: to constantly improve best practices and seek out new ideas and strategies to save more lives. To be a Learning Center that evolves and grows.
- Pro-activity: to solve difficult problems and to be prepared to offer emergency and crisis support.
- Transparency: that informs the public about the fate of homeless animals.
- Education: that raises awareness about the realities that homeless animals face in the community and across the nations, providing a forum for people to get involved in effecting change. Promotes and support reasonable pet ownership.
- Sustainability: through financial management practices that maximize the impact and reach of our resources and endure that PAWS Chicago will always be a resource for homeless animals.
- Compassion: towards all people and animals.