City Colleges of Chicago Tutor- Biology- Part time- Grant funded in Chicago, Illinois
- TUTOR- BIOLOGY (PART-TIME)
- *MALCOLM X COLLEGE *
- *GRANT-FUNDED *
- Employing a talented and impassioned Faculty, staff and student body, Malcolm X College (MXC) is leading the charge with a focus on Health Sciences, while maintaining a positive commitment to exceptional instruction. Located near the Illinois Medical District, on the near west side of Chicago, MXC programs offer accessible and affordable opportunities for academic advancement, career development, and personal enrichment.
- MXC is seeking a qualified part-time Tutor in Biology. This position is funded by the Primarily Black Institution Grant. The Tutor bridges the gap between the college and the needs of the student. This position also helps students make academic progress, while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. City Colleges has transformed the lives of more than one million alumni through education, and we aim to serve as an economic engine for the City of Chicago.
- PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides academic assistance to assigned students, either in a group or individually.
- May serve as an embedded tutor for high school and college students.
- Establishes liaison with the instructor and works under the instructor’s direction to assist the student.
- Attends periodic training sessions given by staff members to increase competency in working with students.
- Maintains records on each student who is being tutored, including follow-up and periodic assessment.
- Schedules tutoring appointments.
- Provides evaluations and other reports as required by staff.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes toward learning and studying and helps students develop a high level of motivation in academic areas.
- Assists students in achieving a better understanding of specific subject material and in improving academic capabilities in designated areas.
- Helps students develop the study skills necessary for academic success.
- Establishes and maintains rapport with the assigned students.
Assists in designing and implementing class cooperative projects.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in higher in a field of study and subject area related to the subject(s) being tutored, OR similar technical certifications and training.
- Specific additional requirements or certifications may be required depending on the assignment area.
- Completion of tutoring certification preferred.
- Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering academic support to students at the post-secondary instructional level is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a large, urban community college environment with a diverse cultural and ethnic student body is highly desirable.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- *We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. *
- Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
Primary Location: Malcolm X College
Job Posting: May 1, 2018, 10:07:12 AM
Req ID: MAL0001013
Employee Type: Part Time
Union Code: 1600PTPROF