Loyola University Chicago Server Operations and Data Center Manager in Chicago, Illinois
Server Operations and Data Center Manager Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago. To view open positions, please enter your search criteria below. You may view all open positions by not specifying any search criteria and selecting the "Search" button.
Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Job Title SERVER OPER & DATA CTR MGR
Position Number 8101562
Job Category University Staff
Job Type Full-Time
FLSA Status Exempt
Campus Rogers Park-Lake Shore Campus
Department Name INFRASTRUCTURE SUPPORT SERVICES
Location Code ITS-INFRASTUCTURE (07160A)
Is this split and/or fully grant funded? No
Duties and Responsibilities
The Information Technology Services (ITS) division at Loyola University Chicago seeks an energetic and team-oriented manager experienced in cloud technologies, data center management and server administration. This position is responsible for all aspects of Loyola’s server operations team including managing the physical server environments, server life-cycle management, and all components associated with data center resiliency and data back-up and recovery.
The Server Operations and Data Center Manager will oversee a team of technicians responsible for Loyola’s internal cloud infrastructure (Nutanix, VMWare) and the Microsoft 365 technology stack (Exchange, Teams, SharePoint). In addition, the leader will be a key team member that helps drive Loyola’s overall cloud strategy and migration approach.
This position works closely with clients and other ITS managers in support of the University’s mission and strategic direction. The manager will also seek out opportunities to leverage emerging technologies to assist in reducing cost and ensure system availability in a rapidly changing, increasingly complex computing environment.
- Manage a highly technical staff responsible for the development, delivery, maintenance, and administration of the University’s servers, hyper-converged infrastructure, data storage environment, Microsoft 365 tenant, and other cloud technologies.
- Direct life-cycle management of all university servers, storage, and appliances. This includes procurement, installation, management, and replacement; and provide status/utilization reports and metrics related to each.
- Develops roadmap for server platforms, virtualization, management/monitoring capabilities, and associated skill sets.
- Manage problem resolution activities and ensure the process is timely, effective, and reaches a successful conclusion.
- In addition to floor space administration, rack allocation and physical security, coordinate with Loyola’s Facilities staff the maintenance and testing of all environmental systems including power, HVAC, fire suppression, and notification systems at both University data centers.
- Manage all aspects of data center resiliency, back-up, and recovery.
- Plan, develop and implement systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the Systems Operations team.
- Manage vendor support and services for the systems operations area.
- Develop cross training opportunities within the Systems Operations team as well as with other technical support groups.
- Projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Education and/or Work Experience
Bachelor’s degree in related field and five-seven years of experience in server administration and data center management.
Experience · A minimum of a BA/BS Degree in CIS, Engineering, Management or a related field. · 1+ year of experience managing a team of technical support staff. · 5+ years of intimate experience working on Servers, Storage, Microsoft 365/Azure or equivalent platforms. · Strong vendor selection, management, and relationship skills. Able to translate expectations into realistic and measurable SLAs.
Language Ability · Strong and persuasive oral and written communication skills with internal and external customers at all levels of the University. · Core consulting skills such as business writing, presentation, and analytic comparison. · Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business processes, technical procedures, and user manuals. · Ability to develop and write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. · Able to communicate technical ideas and concepts to non-technical audiences
Reasoning Ability · Able to distill team and end user feedback into clear insights and actionable items. · Able to synthesize complex or diverse information at an enterprise level. · Able to self-motivate and problem solve individually or with team members. · Adept at task switching and able to manage competing priorities. · Flexible and adaptable to changing environments and business situations.
Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance.
Ethics · Treats people with respect · Works with integrity and ethically; handles sensitive and confidential issues and materials appropriately
Great attitude and strong work ethic · Ability to work independently and in team settings · Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming · Maintains confidentiality and follows ITS and other university policies regarding data security and protection · Balances team and individual responsibilities · Contributes to building a positive team spirit · Effectively influences actions and opinions of others · Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others · Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity
A bachelor’s degree.
Exemplary knowledge in cloud technologies, server virtualization, server administration, Storage Area Networks, server hardware, Identity Management, data back-up and recovery.
Supervisory Responsibilities Yes
Required operation of university owned vehicles No
Does this position require direct animal or patient contact? No
Physical Demands None
Working Conditions None
Open Date 10/15/2020
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quick Link for Posting http://www.careers.luc.edu/postings/14380