Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP Litigation Paralegal in Chicago, Illinois
Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, a national law firm, currently has an exciting full-time employment opportunity for a Litigation Paralegal in our Chicago office. We offer competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package.
Our Chicago office is seeking a Litigation Paralegal with experience in the area of tort defense litigation, particularly as it pertains to personal injury and property damage related cases, who will perform a variety of duties including researching law, investigating facts, and preparing documents for attorneys according to established policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:.
- Continual review and management of case files.
- Prepare initial discovery, i.e., interrogatories, request for production, request for admissions.
- E-File in both State and Federal Court systems.
- Journal deadlines for responses and monitor for timeliness.
- Prepare draft responses to discovery, including document productions and corresponding privilege logs.
- Prepare legal documents such as briefs and pleadings.
- Prepare case and medical chronologies, agreements, deposition summaries/abstracts and trial binders for use by attorneys.
- Investigate facts as requested by attorneys.
- Ensure proper indexing and filing of original legal documents.
- Attend trial as necessary.
Qualifications and Prior Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred; Additionally, five_ (5) or more years of insurance defense experience with a specific focus on personal injury and property damage required. Only applicants with this experience will be considered._
- Experience with trial preparation and participation/attendance, including organization of witness materials and preparation of physical and electronic exhibits; experience with exhibit manipulation software such as Sanction/Trial Director/TrialPad, Relativity and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge in a variety of areas including complex litigation, transportation, products liability, toxic tort, chemical exposure, fire litigation, construction defect and general liability.
- Working knowledge of internet, Excel and Microsoft Word software.
- E-Filing experience in both State and Federal Court systems.
- Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs.
- Listens and seeks clarification; responds well to questions.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data.
- Takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for help when needed.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; commits to additional hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; contributes to building a positive team environment.
- Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Moves case along, anticipating next steps and proactively discussing same with attorneys.
As an EEO/AA employer, Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.
Title: Litigation Paralegal
Location: Chicago, Illinois