CDM Smith Automation Engineer 4 in Chicago, Illinois
CDM Smith is seeking an Automation Engineer 4 with a passion for Automation and a curiosity to explore new technologies to help drive and advance our practice. As a member of the Chicago Automation team, the Automation Engineer will contribute to CDM Smith's mission by:
• Independently developing solutions for automation engineering projects. This role requires an individual who is passionate about the application of SCADA Systems, Networking, and Cyber Security solutions for clients with a desire to enhance their skills and advance our automation practice.
• Planning, developing, and coordinating automation tasks on small, medium and large projects with complex automation features under the supervision of a senior staff member.
• Performing project assignments that require the development of new or improved techniques, procedures, processes, products, and executing established methods.
• Receiving technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects.
• Acting as a mentor for lower level employees and possibly supervising the work of engineers who are assisting on assigned work
• Establishing and monitoring budgets to assess and yield profitability.
• Working collaboratively with team members to conduct SCADA system testing and application development.
• Participating in field checkout and startup activities.
• Assisting in new business development by contributing to marketing, project pursuits and business operations.
Automation Engineer 4
CDM Smith Employment Type:
• A minimum of 5-7 years of related work experience in Automation Engineering is required. Highly prefer experience in municipal water and waste water systems.
• Bachelor’s degree in a specialty field such as electrical engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, and/or computer engineering.
• Experience with design of control systems including drafting and development of P&IDs and control system architectures with AutoCAD, writing custom project specifications, and developing process control descriptions with input from project team.
• Experience with programming of SCADA systems which includes some, if not all of the following: diverse PLC and HMI packages (such as GE iFix and/or Rockwell Studio 5000 / FactoryTalk View SE), configuration of SCADA servers, workstations, network and server configuration, wireless communication systems (i.e. cellular, radio, Wi-Fi), and development of SCADA reports.
• Strong communication skills both verbally and written with ability to communicate to a diverse team and client base with varying skills that is geographically dispersed.
• Strong time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments to meet schedules and budgets.
• Ability to periodically travel to project sites for client meetings, control system troubleshooting, and start-up of control systems.
Registration as a licensed Professional Engineer is desired for engineering positions
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate—as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Why CDM Smith?:
CDM Smith provides lasting and integrated solutions in water, environment, transportation, energy and facilities to public and private clients worldwide. As a full-service consulting, engineering, construction, and operations firm, we deliver exceptional client service, quality results and enduring value across the entire project life cycle.
Job Site Location:
Illinois - Chicago
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
Amount of Travel Required:
Visa Sponsorship Available:
No - We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for this position